Wednesday, March 18, 2009

MYBROWNBABY IS ADDICTED TO THIS CHOCOLATE HIGH

Watch more Chocolate High videos on AOL Video



I love India.Aire and Musiq Soulchild for many reasons, most certainly for their song-writing talent, their incredible voices, and their dedication to their art and their culture and their people. The two of them make beautiful soul music, universal in its appeal, but so extraordinarily meaningful to those of us who appreciate solid songs about self-empowerment (Aire's "Video" and "I Am Not My Hair"), the excitement of new love (Musiq's "Buddy," and "Girl Next Door"), divine power (Aire's "God Is Real") and responsibility (Musiq's "Betterman" and "Motherfather").

I especially love that India and Musiq have repped black love to the fullest on each of their albums—unabashedly, beautifully. And not just black love between men and women, but black love between mother and child. For sure, I found a different kind of meaning in Aire's "Beautiful Flower," when I sang it to Lila each night at bedtime:

You are everything I ask for in my prayers
So I know my angels brought you to my life
Your energy is healing to my soul
You are a beautiful surprise
You are an inspiration to my life
You are the reason why I smile
You are a beautiful surprise

As far as I know, India isn't a mom and those lyrics were intended for a man, but I found that every note, every word resonated with me as a mom, who, even with the second baby, was still astounded by the "beautiful surprise" God had sent my way. Still am, really.

My latest musical obsession, though, is a new song my two favorite artists recorded together—one that unabashedly celebrates black love, the kind between a man and a woman. It's sexy and super sweet, and I'm totally addicted; this song makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like a teenager tucked away in her room, rewinding the sweetness of the first kiss. The chorus alone gives me butterflies:

There is somethin' about your love
That makes me just want to open up
Your flavor is the sweetest thing in life
I'm addicted to your chocolate high
Cause i want you, and i know that you want me
So let's stay close like we supposed to be
And just get high off our own supply
I'm addicted to your chocolate high

Addicted indeed.

Press play—I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In the meantime, I'll be somewhere hugging my husband—my own personal chocolate high!



post signature

8 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this song.

    5 stars you so gourmet girl!!!!!

    Yes, Yes, great song :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to sing that song to my daughter too! Was definitely a "beautiful surprise," indeed. It fits soo well with motherhood - I wonder if Ms. India Aire realizes this....

    ReplyDelete
  3. India and Musiq both have healing music. If we just absorb goodness through music, nature, and all the good that is in the world we will soon find that we are happy, healthy and feeling good.

    Thanks to India for providing great, loving, inspiring, and healthy music.

    Thanks to you for this post! We needed it today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!! I also love my chocolate high as well. Thanks for putting the song here. I'm sitting here at work, thinking about my chocolate high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, love this song! And I love my white-chocolate high! Ok I'm a dork, but I didn't want to be left out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Future Mama: Hey--White Chocolate is tasty, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just heard this song for the first time yesterday...I know I am sadly addicted to my iPod full of vintage tunes from the 70's and 80's so sue me! LOVE it! Super sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. India, oooooh, man this song is so sweet. You are the best! I just purchased 3 tickets to the concert on Sunday night, May 24th for my daughter (!5), my sister-in-law and my beautiful wife of 30 years, Orchester section,Row T seat 24,26,28. I have to stay home and baby sit. I will be there in spirit. My girls come first.
    India, I Love YOU! You're wonderful. Joe

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Mind Here

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

wibiya widget