Thursday, January 15, 2009

MBB Mom Of The Week: Author Joyce E. Davis



You know how we do: MyBrownBaby is dead-set on giving credit where credit is due to parents who are raising and loving their beautiful brown babies. A round of applause for MBB Mom of the Week Joyce E. Davis—my girl, my ace, my mellow! Joyce and I go waaaay back to our days together at Honey. She hooked up the magazine’s entertainment stories with heavies like Mary J. Blige and Jill Scott; I sat across from her, editing features and gabbing with her about er’thang—music, writing, men, and, when I was pregnant with my Lila, motherhood. Joyce left me a few years after we met—broke my heart and moved back to Georgia to start her own public relations firm, become an editor at Upscale, and write books (she’s the author of an incredible young adult novel, "Can't Stop The Shine" (Kimani Tru); her second novel hits bookstores this year). She also blogs at her fly virtual space, Enjoyceing Life. Of all of her incredible accomplishments and titles, though, the most impressive one is “Mom.” Joyce gave birth to a daughter who is every bit as smart as she is beautiful--just like her mommy. Both of them are popular here in Atlanta--Joyce knows every-doggone-body. But I'm proud to call her my friend. JD is the fire, y'all. See why right here, and then show some love for MyBrownBaby’s incredible Mom of the Week!

My name is… Joyce E. Davis.

I live in… Atlanta, Georgia.

My brown baby is… Amber Mariama Loyd.

I make a living… writing.

The last time my daughter cracked me up she… serenaded me on my birthday with six choruses of “Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas,” followed by an encore of the “ABCs,” and a finale of “Old McDonald.” I was laughing so hard that I had to pull the car over on the side of the road.

The last book I read with my daughter was… Shapely Sleepy Sheep.

My favorite place to take her is… to school.

My proudest mom moment was when… my daughter said the grace at a family dinner.

My most embarrassing mommy moment was… the time when my daughter threw her father’s cell phone in the training potty and took a poo on it.

The thing I most want my daughter to know is… that she is loved.

The one family tradition I hope my daughter will continue when she grows up is… to value education.

If I could invent one thing to make being a mom easier, it would be… a free robotic personal assistant who can cook nutritious meals and clean the house.

The best invention for kids ever is… the portable potty top.

The kid snack I’m most likely to get busted eating is… string cheese.

The most important life lesson I want my daughter to learn is… to be true to herself.

The one thing no one knows about me is… that I wish I was more domestic.

The thing I lost as a mom that I wish I could get back is… time to read, to go to the movies, and to travel.

My “I’d Rather Be…” bumper sticker would say… “I’d Rather Be On Vacation.”


post signature

17 comments:

  1. Denene! You are the best! Thank you for introducing us to this wonderful woman! It is so clear why she is a special friend!. I am hopping over to her blog to check her out and I hope to add her to my list of phenomenal sister-friends in cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce IS the fire! Also..thank you JD for sharing your incredible talent, energy and fabulosity with another generation of sisters at Spelman.

    BTW: Poo on daddy's cell phone....hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh yes GYF: Joyce works at the ever-fabulous Spelman--spreading her wonderful self among our lil sisters... See? What'd I tell you? Joyce is THE FIRE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a dude's perspective, I can also vouch for JD's awesomeness. She's one of the funniest, coolest, warmest sisters I have ever met! And since she has also written for my magazine, I can confirm that the girl definitely can throw down on the keyboard—she'd make Thelonious Monk proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like an amazing woman and mother. You have surrounded yourself with so many fantastic people Denene...what a wonderful place for you to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce just left a comment on my blog, then I clicked over here to read yours and there she is! She really is a special person - dynamic, intelligent and funny as hell! And, most importantly a great friend. Love her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denene! Girl, thank you so much for this amazing acknowledgement. And I am really blown away by the comments that are being left about me.

    You know we will be tighter that Spanx forever and I'm so happy that my girl has your girls as "big sisters." She was just calling a new friend Lila because this new friend looked like your daughter.

    Your commitment to motherhood is inspring and I'm glad we are taking this journey together. We're on for a face to face lovefest in Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the interview format. Gotta check out Joyce's blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Joyce!

    Your baby is sooooo cute. Kinda reminds me of my lil grandduchess (instead of saying granddaughter or grandson, I use the terms grandduchess and grandduke, because afterall, we are all royalty! Looking out for that next raving book of yours.

    Lots of love,
    Beverly
    www.chastekeepers.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uhm, I'd like to be a part of the Think Tank that develops the robotic personal assistant, please! I would skip nights of sleep for that project! Oh, and shout out to the portable potty top - I love that too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I follow Joyce's blog- it's phenomenal and so is she! Congratulations, Joyce, on being a fabulous mom and person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that little girl is getting cuter and cuter every day! what an amazing lil baby bumpkin you have, joyce. love the pink gear and obama accessory. :)

    thanks for celebrating solid, beautiful, black motherhood at its finest, denene.

    joy!

    eisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a smart, accomplished mom you've nominated this week. I'd say she deserves the title! And the part about her daughter throwing daddy's cell in the toilet and then "pooing" on it is a priceless parenting moment for sure!

    Way to go Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww this is great! Congrats Joyce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Joyce! I love the cell phone incident...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My girl Joyce. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. when is her Birthday??????

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Mind Here

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

wibiya widget