Monday, December 15, 2008

A Child To Call My Very Own


By NICOLE McNEIL

My father was murdered when I was young—and it killed my spirit. It was my brother’s child, my nephew, who brought me back to life. When he was born, I knew for sure that true love, in its purest form, really exists. I mother him, and love him. Love him, and mother him. And many others in my life, too. Momma Bird is the name many of them have called me.

And now, finally, I’m going to be a mother. Somebody’s mother for real. To a child of my own.

My bundle of joy hasn’t arrived yet. And he is not in my belly. I found him in a book. He’s 12 years old—one of the most beautiful children I have ever seen. His eyes, shaped like almonds, sparkle like diamonds. Looking at his picture captivated me. And in an instant, I fell in love.

He is not the first child I’d considered adopting. I’d seen pictures of others and asked about them, but I was told those children needed two-parent homes. My hopes kept being dashed, but only briefly. I am resilient. I prayed, and waited, and got myself ready while I did. I even made a to-do list. A few things I decided I needed to do before becoming a mom:

• Travel out of the country at least three times
• Get my learner’s permit and license so I could drive legally
• Cut down on my shopping addiction
• Convert my walk-in closet, formally the dining room, back into a dining room.

(This list is just part of a list of things I want to do in my lifetime. It is not a “bucket list.” It grows and changes and sometimes I put it down for years, but it’s always in the back of my Bible should I need to review it or edit.)

As I checked items off my list, I worked hard on those required by the adoption agency. I completed the mandatory New York State Foster/Adoptive Care training classes in early November. My apartment will be certified at the end of this month. And I expect Lorenzo to arrive in late January/early February, just in time for my February 4th birthday. What a gift!

I am very excited about this transition in my life. It’s not what most people would expect from a 26-year-old single woman. Even I struggle with the idea of being a single mom. Mostly I struggle with other people wondering why I would want to adopt, rather than carry a baby in my own womb. To those I say that I do want to have a child naturally. As far as I know, I’m capable of this. But I would like to bring into this world a child created with a man God has designed for me, who is deserving of me, who will marry me, and be a good father to our children.

While I wait for this, though, I embrace the fact that there are many other ways to be a mother. And by adopting, I’m going to fill a need. Not only for myself, but for my son-to-be. He, and many more children like him, need parents—deserve grown-ups in their lives who will love and care for them unconditionally. There are so many children in the American foster care system who need this. How could anyone sit around doing nothing while they languish? Or continue to be abused? Forgotten? Discarded? Dogs are treated better than some children are right here in America.

I learned this by volunteering—speaking to teachers, parents, students, social workers, and prison inmates. And mostly, what I saw was that balance is missing in all-too-many homes. The stories all sounded the same: “I didn’t have a mother or father,” or, “My grandmother or auntie raised me,” and “They did the best they could do with what they had.” Some told me they were in foster care and group homes all their lives, and jail was the next step. They were being left behind—robbed of their future.

This compelled me to check out the New York State foster care/adoption website. It didn’t take me long to figure out that America is full of children who deserve, but don’t have, the tender loving care of parents, and the guidance and support of a family. And somewhere in the midst of it all, I prayed to God and asked Him for a little reassurance—to let me know that I was doing the right thing. And, just like that, I decided to give a child and permanent home. A family.

A mother.

So many people ask me why I’m doing this. My answer is always, “why not?” Adopting my son-to-be is about responsibility, and growing up, and doing right by our brown babies—all of them, not just the ones we carry in our wombs.

I have been blessed to lead a really great life. And I can’t wait to share it with Lorenzo—my child.

Author’s Note: If you’re interested in adoption, check out your state’s government-run foster care agency. The National Association of Black Social Workers also has a list of private adoption agencies it says have successfully negotiated the adoptions of African American children. If adoption or foster care isn’t the right fit for you, consider being a mentor or volunteer. The National CARES Mentoring Movement is a great resource for finding mentees in your area.

About our MyBrownBaby contributor:
Nicole McNeil is a native of the South Bronx, enjoys traveling, and will have a brown baby of her own very, very soon.



post signature

20 comments:

  1. Adoption is so close to my heart. I know not nearly enough people get involved in the foster care system, let alone adopt. I adored this beautiful story. I hope she'll share how things are going in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Children are blessings. I can't imagine how excited you are.

    I would like to have foster children, once my children are older. I have considered adopting in the future, too. Most people ask me that same question, "Why?," when I tell them and I give the same answer; "Why not?" Every child deserves to be loved, respected, and cared for. You are such an unselfish person and I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. Congratulations on your new son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a biracial baby who was adopted as an infant. Your story makes me proud. Thank you. I am forwarding this to many in hope that more children can become adopted after hearing your story. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful and inspiring story with us. It always touches my heart to hear of such love and devotion to children.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a beautiful, unselfish person, and you truly inspired me today. Your son will be lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very inspired by your story. I've thought about adopting too, but am worried that I wouldn't be able to raise a child on my own. I would love to have an email conversation with you about this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I wish you all the best. Adoption is a fantastic way to grow a family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet! I received my dose of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning from your SITSta! I wanted to stop by and say thank you for dropping in to my blog this am!

    Your post on adoption was touching. My husband and I considered adoption, even though we were perfectly able to have children. How blessed you are to be getting your son. All the best to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful! I am happy that your little blessing will be arriving soon.

    I think that many feel that parenthood, single or otherwise, takes an abundance of unattainable work. While not an easy task, the #1 underlying requirement for parenthood is love. As long as there is unconditional love and support children prosper just fine.

    I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God's blessings to you and your son! It is easy to tell through your writings how much you already love him and how much he'll be treasured as your child.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am incredibly awed by you, this post, and your conviction towards doing right by this child. My heart broke when I read just the first line, and I was captivated by the whole post.

    My heart goes out to you and your future son and I hope that your journey together is exciting, and long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. p.s. I made that mac and cheese on Sunday. (see previous post.) It WAS to die for. My hips and ass thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have goosebumps, what a touching post. I admire Nicole for acknowledging the needs of brown babies outside of the womb. I wish you much love and happiness with Lorenzo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on becoming a mother. Lorenzo is a fortunate child to have you, a woman of courage who is willing to do whatever it takes to provide a loving home for her son.

    God's strength and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. THANK YOU ALL FOR READING MY STORY!

    :-)

    Nicole

    (Nvm_12004@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! I found you off a comment you made on my friends blog. She told me to check out your blog. We have been blessed wiht a baby boy though adoption. After having 3 children we felt it was time for our family to grow through adoption. Noah is the greatest blessing to our family. We look forward to adopting a daughter next year! Take a peek at our blog to see the most beautiful 11 month around!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to you his life will forever be changes. This is coming from an adoptee :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations and many blessings to you, which is what your little bundle of joy will certainly be.

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Mind Here

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

wibiya widget