Friday, February 6, 2009

Home Made Love: Philadelphia Cheesesteak Sandwiches



To keep Christmas gift-giving simple (and affordable!), my girls and I made home made cookbooks for a few of the special folks in our lives. They turned out pretty cute, too--they were filled with my daughters' step-by-step, easy-to-follow recipes, pictures of the two of them slaving over the stove, and, of course, colorful shots of their creations looking all delicious on the plate. My favorite part of our "Home Made Love: From The Chiles Girls' Kitchen To Yours" cook book, though, was the stories; I encouraged Mari and Lila to write about the food they were cooking--to share the special memories behind the beloved dishes they chose for their project. Cooking, after all, is about memories, isn't it?

And because I'm so very proud of the girls and their "Home Made Love," I've decided to start a series called Home Made Love, in which I'll feature their recipes and memories. Here, the first in the series:


By MARI CHILES and LILA CHILES


CHAMPION CHEESESTEAK SANDWICH

These sandwiches are nice and cheesy and we really love the onions, especially when they’re sizzling in the pan. When mommy cuts up the roast beef—we get it sliced thin from the grocery store—Teddy always sits right up under her feet, waiting for a piece or two to drop his way. Teddy loves roast beef. We always manage to “accidentally” drop a few more pieces his way when Mommy’s not looking. That makes Teddy especially happy.



Plus, it keeps him from nudging mommy on the leg for more meat. Mommy loves her Teddy, but she’s not a fan of the wet-nosed nudge. She does like the cheese steak sandwiches, though, which we serve with tater tots and fruit salad.





Mommy says our sandwiches taste just as good as the Philadelphia cheese steak sandwiches she used to get when she visited Philly. That was before we were born, so we haven’t tasted those. But it would be cool to visit Philly one day and try one for ourselves. One of these days, we will. In the meanwhile, we’ll have a little taste of Philly at our dinner table.

Ingredients

2 medium onions cut length-wise in half, then sliced cross-wise into thin slices
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 ½ pounds of cooked roast beef, thinly sliced and cut into strips
6 hoagie buns, about 6 inches long
butter
6 slices of American cheese

Directions

• Sauté onion in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until tender.
• Stir in beef, and heat through.
• Set oven to broil; split buns and place cut-side up on cookie sheet; brush each of the faces of the bread with butter and broil 4-5 inches from the heat for 2 minutes.
• Divide beef mixture among the rolls and top with cheese; broil about one minute, until cheese is melted.

Makes 6 sandwiches.



post signature

19 comments:

  1. I love it!! That is such a wonderful idea (makes note to self). I can't wait to see more from the girls... and I wish I could hug Teddy through the screen =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughters are beautiful! I love cheese steaks. I actually bribed my oldest son with them recently (I wanted to take his picture while he played guitar and he hates having his picture taken) Mine didn't look as good as yours. Did you use beef from the deli section? It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I just love these photos! Such beauties! The dog is so cute!! This is a great recipe for my daughters to make on their own. I will email it to them. Thanks for sharing! BTW I was just talking about yesterday's post with my hubby this morning. We both got all worked up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like mother like daughters! Great writers! And those cheesesteaks look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Bar: THANK YOU! Teddy is totally juicy! And the girls have a BOOK full of these recipes... can't wait to share them all with you guys.

    Tiffany and Joan: Thanks for the compliments--my girls are very nice with the verbs... And yes, we use just plain ol' Kroger-brand/Private Selection roast beef, sliced thin, from the fresh-cut deli section. EASY dinner--and delicious, too.

    Sheliza: It IS easy to make... the girls have these plastic knives that can cut the meat but not their little fingers (it's made with ridges), so I let them cut it up while I do the onions, and then they saute everything while I cut the buns and toast them in the oven. And we ALL should get worked up over that Madison Avenue mess--they got some nerve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word ~ my favorite kind of sandwich. Can't wait to try this one out! (And how cute are your girls, Denene?) You are so completely blessed with your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your site!
    It is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denene, I love that so much, your kids are so adorable and Teddy..wow so cute. What a great idea for kids! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can they travel to Palm Desert and bring me a few sandwiches? I'd like to order a few! The recipe sounds easy and delicious! I love the idea of a cookbook with special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say I was born and raised in Philly. I just came accross your blog through someone else and why did I have to see those cheese steaks. I couldn't even read the blog cause I keep staring at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those babies look like their mama. What a beautiful Christmas gift idea. I think next year we'll send pictures and the recipe along with the cookies we pass out. Thanks for a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum yum!! If I get brave enough to try cooking again I'll try this for sure! And what adorable girls!! I would love to watch them ANYTIME!! I bet they are so well behaved. I'll watch the doggie too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennifer, girl? Well-behaved?!

    HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Devils, both of them! They're ALL yours... (tee hee!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks just delicious!! You also have the cutiest dog on the planet. How could you ever deny those big brown goreous puppy dog eyes? You are a much stronger woman than me. The only one that outshined your doggie was your beautiful baby girl.

    Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic blog!

    This really made me hungry! I'll be usin the recipe...

    Peace and laughter to you and your family,

    M

    ReplyDelete
  16. How am i supposed to lose weight when you keep posting FANTASTIC recipes??


    dammit. (looks great)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your blog AND this reciepe and got right up from the computer and whipped these babies up! I LUV these sandwiches!

    Now I guess I should make some for the family? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! Looks like Monday night dinner to me!

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Mind Here

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

wibiya widget