Thursday, January 14, 2010

Check Out MyBrownBaby On Kathie Lee & Hoda!



Exciting news! Today, I joined Kathie Lee and Hoda on the Today Show to discuss how we moms can—and should!—talk to our kids about sex. I gave tips, along with ace Washington, D.C.-based pediatrician Ivor Horn, on the when's and the how's and the what's when it comes to telling your kids about The Birds and The Bees. If you missed it, here's the clip.




I invite you, too, to check out the guest post I contributed to MSNBC's TODAYMoms blog. CLICK HERE to read it, and, of course, if you feel so moved, leave a comment.

If you're visiting for the first time after seeing today's show, please come on in, kick off your shoes, and get comfortable here at my place. Here’s the quick and dirty on MyBrownBaby: I’m Denene Millner, a 16-time author, contributing editor and Mom Squad member at Parenting and Essence magazines, a featured Parenting Post blogger at Parenting.com, the Real Talk mom at Momtourage, and associate editor at the travel magazine, Odyssey Couleur. My latest book, “Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man,” which I wrote with the comedian Steve Harvey, debuted No. 1 on The New York Times Hardcover Advice Best Sellers List and remained there for 42 consecutive weeks; it was featured on Oprah twice. I also penned a memoir for Nene Leakes, star of Bravo's The Real Housewives of Atlanta.

More importantly, I’m a mom of three beautiful kids, the wife of Nick Chiles, an awesome Pulitzer Prize-winning writer who is penning a book for celebrated gospel artist Kirk Franklin, the proud owner of a spectacular Goldendoodle, Teddy, and ridiculously giddy for no good doggone reason. Maybe I’m just a hopeless optimist, but I try to remind myself every day how blessed I am for good health, a sound mind, strength, and above all else, the good, hearty, everlasting love of a beautiful family.

So come on in and take a look around. Check out what I do to FIND ME-TIME, and how me and my girls KICK IT OL' SCHOOL. Check our what legendary actress DIAHANN CARROLL whispered in my ear, how I feel about BLACK DADS, PLAYING IN THE SUN, and SOLO VACATIONS. You’ll also find some great music here, too, including videos from artists like INDIA.AIRE, ANGIE STONE, and LEDISI, as well as some great recipes from my daughters’ “Home Made Love” cookbook. You’ll find, too, that I don’t mind speaking my mind, particularly when the NEIGHBORS GO WILD, BET GETS LOW, and I get nervous for my AFRICAN AMERICAN SON. No conversation is off-limits, and sometimes it can get a little ROWDY around here. But every post is meant to give voice to black moms looking to get in on the parenting debate, and certainly to invite ALL moms, regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, or background to talk about what we love to talk about most: motherhood.

So check out the site, introduce yourself in the comment section, and please SIGN UP FOR FREE EMAIL UPDATES, become a MYBROWNBABY FOLLOWER, or SUBSCRIBE TO MY RSS FEED. I’m SO happy you stopped by!

Have a fantastic day!



post signature

15 comments:

  1. I'll stay tuned. Love how you're spreading the love around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing you on Today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for being on The Today Show! How exciting. I will certainly DVR the show so I can watch it later on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are wearing many hats. And doing it well. I didn't realize you wrote "Act Like a Lady..." with Steve Harvey. I am currently reading it. And I'm glad to receive the information it contains. Keep doing your thing! I'll check out the show today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, the one day someone of interest to me is on the Today show; I'm stuck in a business analysis class. I follow and will continue because I love what you have to say, share and how you juggle your life with a bright smile.

    Peace & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Stacey It took me a moment to realize it was Denene's name on the book after visting My Brown Baby a number of time. I have the book on my nightstand with the spine facing me and then light bulb went off-LOL! Enjoy the book I found it very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I may have to catch the replay from the link because I'm just now seeing the update. Such a proud moment, can't wait to see it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't wait, so I found the link on the MSNBC website. Your info was right on target, as always. And you looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right on time! Just yesterday, me daughter Autumn (10) and I had The Talk Part 2 (this is hard for me so I must do this in stages) I took her out of school, and we made a whole day of it. We had breakfast at her favorite bagel shop, talked at our favorite bookstore and looked through some picture books on puberty. I told her about some things and explained some things further. I dealt with a turned up nose, about two silent "gross!" and a few more funny faces. But, I think the message got through that we can talk about anything and I can answer any questions she has about her changing body. Later that night when the day had long ended, she crawled in my bed with her questions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great information from the both of you. I liked that you both stated that it's important to have both parents there for the talk if at all possible. It really does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So - Maggie will be knocking on your day the day she turns eight . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are SO COOL! Man, I'm so blessed to know you :) You did such a great job! I agree with everything you said but we'll see what happens when the questions come! haha, we still have a ways to go though. I've gotta get the baby out then of course it's gotta learn how to walk and talk first!

    But once it's out of diapers.. We'll be looking out! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!! You continue to make us all so proud:)

    ReplyDelete

Speak Your Mind Here

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

wibiya widget